Go to Kentucky.gov home page
KY National Guard History eMuseum

OH-13 (Sioux) (Models E and G)

OH-13 Line Art
OH-13 Line Art

Country of Origin:  USA
Crew: One
Role:  Utility, observation
Dimensions:  Length: 31 ft., 7 in.  Rotor diameter: 37 ft.
Wings:  Dual-blade main rotor located above body midsection behind the cockpit.
Engine:  One piston engine located inside latticework midsection behind the cockpit
Fuselage:  Round (goldfish bowl), glassed-in cockpit.  Open-grid midsection and tail boom tapers to the rear.  Belly fin.  Skids with moveable wheels attached for handling
Tail:  Small, rectangular flats.  Small rotor centered at end of boom with rotor guard.

OH 13 Sioux, Light Observation Helicopter Bell Helicopter
OH-13 G Model on Captitol Lawn in Frankfort
OH-13 G Model on Capitol Lawn in Frankfort

The Kentucky Army National Guard received its first helicopter on 23 November 1954. The "G" model Bell OH-13 Sioux, Light Observation helicopter was delivered from Fort Knox to Bowman Field in Louisville where a Light Aviation Section was stationed.  It was assigned to the 149th Regimental Combat Team.

The first Kentucky Guard member trained to fly the new aircraft was John Faulkenberry. The first mechanic qualified to work on the new helicopter was Leonard Shouse.

OH-13E during a maintenance run up by Harold Canon at the controls and Kelly Barker standing.
OH-13E during a maintenance run up by Harold Canon at the controls and Kelly Barker standing.

The Kentucky Army National Guard received the "E" model after the "G" model crashed due to mechanical problems on 16 October 1958.

 

Last Updated 2/19/2008
Privacy | Security | Disclaimer | Accessibility Statement