Phipps Collection Company E 2nd Kentucky 1915

Photographic Collection of Captain William M. Phipps This collection was donated by Captain Phipp’s great grandson, William Lunsford. The collection consists of six (6) photographs taken during 1915, of the soldiers of Company E, 2nd Regiment of Infantry, Kentucky State Guard. Captain William M. Phipps was born 13 July 1879, in Salyersville, Kentucky. He joined the local Guard unit (D Co, later changed to E Co, 2nd Ky Inf) on 11 June 1913, at the age of 32. He listed his occupation as a teacher. Phipps served in the unit as a private working his way to 1SG. He was honorably discharged on 10 June 1913. He rejoined the company and was elected to the rank of Second Lieutenant on 10 April 1916. On 12 December 1916, he was appointed First Lieutenant of E Company. His final appointment came on 16 February 1917, when he became the company commander with the rank of Captain. Company E, 2nd Kentucky Infantry Regiment was part of the Kentucky Brigade which was called to active Federal duty during Mexican Border Service in October 1916 to February 1917. During his time on the border then-Lieutenant Phipps became ill in December and spent most of his time sick in quarters or at the post hospital at Ft Bliss, Texas. When the regiment returned to Kentucky in February 1917, plans were already underway to activate the Kentucky National Guard for service in the World War which was already raging in Europe. Phipps was appointed Captain of E Company and in April 1917 he was placed on orders to begin recruiting in Salyersville to fill the ranks of the company. During this time the 2nd Kentucky was reorganized and redesignated as the 149th Infantry, part of the 38th Division. Captain Phipps organized his company and moved to their training site at the newly constructed Camp Shelby, Mississippi. In August, his ailment from the border once again placed him in the hospital, he is returned to the post hospital at Ft Thomas, Kentucky, where he remained until his resignation from the service on 5 December 1917.​​​​​