123d Armor

In This Section

Lineage and Honors

Constituted 22 May 1846 in the Kentucky Militia as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Cavalry and the 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry

Organized from volunteers of the enrolled militia, principally from counties in central Kentucky, and mustered into Federal service 9 June 1846 at Louisville; mustered out of Federal service 7 and 9 June 1847, respectively, at New Orleans, Louisiana, and continued in state service as separate volunteer militia companies

Reorganized 15 June 1860 from the Lexington Battalion and the Kentucky River Battalion

Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions broken up in 1861 and their elements reorganized as follows:

Elements with Union sympathy reorganized April - June 1861 primarily as the 1st and 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiments

Mustered into Federal service 4 and 13 June 1861, respectively, at Camp Clay, Ohio; mustered out of Federal service 18 and 19 June 1864, respectively at Covington

Elements with Confederate sympathy (less Lexington Rifles) reorganized in July 1861 as elements of the 1st Kentucky Brigade (The Orphan Brigade) and mustered into Confederate service at Camp Boone, Tennessee Surrendered 4 May 1865 at Washington, Georgia

Lexington Rifles withdrawn 20 September 1861 from the Kentucky State Guard, reorganized as a separate cavalry company, and mustered into Confederate service at Bowling Green

Consolidated in October 1861 with two other cavalry companies and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated in June 1862 as the 2d Kentucky Cavalry Regiment (Morgan's Men) Surrendered 8 May 1865 near Woodstock, Georgia

Former Lexington and Kentucky River Battalions reorganized 18 May 1881 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3d Battalion, with Headquarters at Lexington

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 2d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters at Lexington

Mustered into Federal service 14-25 May 1898 at Lexington as the 2d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 31 October 1898 at Lexington

Reorganized 24 April 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 1st Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters in Lexington

(Kentucky State Guard redesignated 19 March 1912 as the Kentucky National Guard)

Mustered into Federal service 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky; mustered out of Federal service 15 February 1917 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky

Mustered into Federal service 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, Kentucky; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

Consolidated 1 October 1917 with the 3d Regiment of Infantry (less 3d Battalion) (See ANNEX 1); consolidated unit concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division

Demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky

Former 2d and 3d Regiments of Infantry reorganized 1920-1921 in the Kentucky National Guard as the 1st Infantry and the 53rd and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons (53d and 54th Machine Gun Squadrons - hereafter separate lineages)

1st Infantry redesignated 1 July 1921 as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division); Headquarters Federally recognized 1 July 1922 at Frankfort

(Location of Headquarters changed 13 December 1927 to Louisville)

Inducted into Federal service 17 January 1941 at home stations

Inactivated 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, California

Relieved 13 May 1946 from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division

Reorganized and Federally recognized 25 September 1946 with Headquarters at St. Matthews

Regiment broken up 1 September 1955 and its elements converted and redesignated as follows:

Headquarters and the 1st Battalion (less Company A) as the 241st Tank Battalion

3d Battalion as the 240th and 243d Tank Battalions

(Headquarters Company as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group; 2d Battalion as the 242d Tank Battalion; and Company A as the 917th Medical Company - hereafter separate lineages)

240th, 241st and 243rd Tank Battalions consolidated 1 October 1959 with the 201st Engineer Battalion (see ANNEX 2) and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 123d Armory, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Medium Tank Battalions

(3c Medium Tank Battalion ordered into active Federal service 1 October 1961 at home stations; 2d Medium Tank Battalion ordered into active Federal service 15 October 1961 at home stations; 2d and 3d Medium Tank Battalions released 11 August 1962 from active Federal service and reverted to state control)

Reorganized 6 April 1964 to consist of the 1st, 2d, and 3d Battalions

Reorganized 1 March 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions

Reorganized 1 November 1980 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 149th Armored Brigade

Reorganized 21 October 1988 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 35th Infantry Division, and the 3d Battalion

Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at Paducah

Annex 1

Organized 8 May 1882 in the Kentucky State Guard in western Kentucky as the 4th Battalion, with Headquarters at Bowling Green

Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 3d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters at Bowling Green

Mustered into Federal service 21-31 May 1898 at Lexington as the 3d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; mustered into of Federal service 16 May 1899 at Savannah, Georgia

Reorganized 10 October 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 3d Regiment of Infantry, with Headquarters at Bowling Green

(Kentucky State Guard redesignated 19 May 191‚Äč2 as the Kentucky National Guard)

Mustered into Federal service 6 July 1916 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky; mustered out of Federal service 12-15 March 1917

Mustered into Federal service 21 April 1917 at Camp Stanley, Kentucky; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917

3d Regiment of Infantry (less 3d Battalion) consolidated 1 October 1917 with the 2d Regiment of Infantry; consolidated unit concurrently reorganized and redesignated as the 149th Infantry and assigned to the 38th Division (3d Battalion concurrently reorganized and redesignated as Companies A and B, 138th Machine Gun Battalion; Company F, 113th Ammunition Train; and Company B, 113th Engineers, elements of the 38th Division)

Above units demobilized in January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky

Annex 2

Constituted 5 August 1917 as the 113th Supply Train and assigned to the 38th Division

Organized 22 October 1917 at Camp Shelby, Mississippi, by transfer of personnel from National Guard infantry companies inducted from Indiana, Kentucky, and West Virginia

Demobilized 5-6 July 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky

Reorganized 1921-1926 in the Indiana and Kentucky National Guard as the 38th Division Quartermaster Train

Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1937 as the 113th Quartermaster Regiment and remained assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division)

Inducted into Federal service 17 January 1941 at home stations

Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1942 as the 113th Quartermaster Battalion

Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1942 as the 38th Quartermaster Company, an element of the 38th Infantry Division

Inactivated 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, California

Former Kentucky elements reorganized and Federally recognized 24 August 1949 in northern Kentucky as the 201st Engineer Combat Battalion, with Headquarters at Owensboro

Ordered into active Federal service 9 May 1951 at home stations

(201st Engineer Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 1 May 1953 with Headquarters at Owensboro)

Reorganized and redesignated 8 June 1953 as the 201st Engineer Battalion

Released 30 March 1955 from active Federal service and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 201st Engineer Battalion (NGUS)

Campaign Participation Credit

Mexican War
Buena Vista

Civil War - Union service
Shiloh
Murfreesborough
Chickamauga
West Virginia 1861
Mississippi 1862
Kentucky 1862
Kentucky 1864
Tennessee 1863

Civil War - Confederate service
Henry and Donelson
Shiloh
Murfreesborough
Chickamauga
Atlanta
Kentucky 1862
Kentucky 1864
Louisiana 1862
Mississippi 1862
Tennessee 1862
Tennessee 1863
Indiana 1863
South Carolina 1865

World War I
Streamer without inscription

World War II
New Guinea
Leyte
Luzon

Company B (Hopkinsville) and Company C (Madisonville), 1st Battalion, each additionally entitled to:

World War II
Algeria-French Morocco (with arrowhead)
Tunisia
Sicily (with arrowhead)
Naples-Foggia (with arrowhead)
Anzio (with arrowhead)
Rome-Arno
Southern France (with arrowhead)
Rhineland
Ardennes-Alsace
Central Europe

Decorations

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 October 1944 to 4 July 1945