History of the 123d Cavalry Regiment
The 3rd Infantry, Kentucky National Guard, which served in the World War as a part of the 38th Division, was re-organized in 1919 as the 53rd and 54th Machine Gun Squadron, and , in April, 1929, redesignated the 123rd Cavalry.
Under the provisions of General Orders No. 16, War Department, 1921, as amended, the 123rd Cavalry, Kentucky National Guard, is entitled to streamers as indicated:
- Spanish-American War - Without inscription
- World War - Without inscription
The blue field on the shield indicates the original designation of the organization as Infantry, and the yellow chief its present designation as Cavalry. Service in the Spanish-American War and the World War is symbolized by the Spanish castle, yellow and red, are the colors of the hat cords worn by the organization when serving as Machine Gun Squadrons.
Shoulder sleeve insignia (Patch)
The 123rd Cavalry, Kentucky National Guard, was originally organized in 1889 as the 3rd Infantry, Kentucky State Guards. The 3rd Infantry, Kentucky State Guards, was mustered into Federal service at Lexington, Kentucky, 21-31 May
1898, as the 3rd Kentucky Volunteer Infantry which served in Cuba from 21 January 1899
to 8 April 1899. Upon its muster out of Federal service the regiment resumed its status in the Kentucky National Guard. The 3rd Infantry, Kentucky National Guard, served on the Mexican Border 1916-1917; drafted 5 August 1917, and subsequently became different units of the 38th Division. These units served with that Division in France during the
World War, did not participate in combat, and returned to the United States and disbanded in 1919.
SHIELD: Azure, on a Spanish Castle or a fleur-de-lis gules; a chief of the second.
CREST: That for the regiments of the Kentucky National Guard: On a wreath of the colors (or and azure) within a garland of trumpet vine clasped hands clothes at the wrists all proper.
MOTTO: SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY.