Lineage and Honors
DEPARTMENT OF THE ARMY
Lineage and Honors
2113th TRANSPORTATION COMPANY (Medium)
Organized and Federally recognized 7 July 1924 as Headquarters Detachment, 38th Division Quartermaster Train, in the Kentucky National Guard at Frankfort (38th Division organized in Kentucky and Indiana).
Redesignated 1 July 1937 as Headquarters Company, 113th Quartermaster Regiment (113th Quartermaster Regiment organized in Kentucky and Indiana).
Inducted into Federal services 17 January 1941 at Frankfort.
Reorganized and redesignated 22 February 1942 as the 113th Quartermaster Battalion.
(113th Quartermaster Battalion reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1942 as 38th Quartermaster Company).
Kentucky elements reorganized and Federally recognized as:
718th Transportation Truck Company on 10 November 1947 at Frankfort; relieved from assignment to 38th Infantry Division (perpetuates history of former Headquarters Company, 113th Quartermaster Regiment)
201st Engineer Combat Battalion on 24 August 1949 - hereafter separate lineage.
718th Transportation Truck Company ordered into active Federal service 19 August 1950 at Frankfort.
(18th Transportation Truck Company (NGUS) organized and Federally recognized 19 August 1952 at Frankfort).
Reorganized and redesignated 20 June 1953 as 718th Transportation Company (Light Truck).
Released from the active Federal service 3 December 1954 and reverted to State control; concurrently, Federal recognition withdrawn from 718th Transportation Company (NGUS).
Converted and redesignated 1 September 1955 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 242d Field Artillery Battalion.
Consolidated 1 October 1959 with Battery A, 640th Field Artillery Battalion (Federally recognized 1 May 1955 at Frankfort) and consolidated unit converted and redesignated as 103d Signal Company.
Converted and redesignated 1 March 1968 as 2113th Transportation Company.
Campaign Participation Credit
World War II-AP
Shoulder sleeve insignia (Patch)
Shoulder sleeve insignia description: On a shield 2 ½-inches in width and 3 ¼-inches in height overall triparted blue, white, and red with a yellow chief, a white long rifle barrel up outlined in blue diagonally from upper to lower right, all within an 1/8-inch blue border.
Red, white and blue are our national colors. The color Yellow and the red and blue allude to the combat arms: Armor (Cavalry), Artillery, and Infantry. The long rifle is inseparably associated with the early history of Kentucky prior to and after its admission to the Union as the 15th State.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was approved on 30 December 1983.
Distinctive Unit Insignia (Crest)
A gold color metal and enamel device 1 1/8 inches (2.86 cm) in height overall consisting of a blue disk bearing at the top, horizontally throughout, two gold clasped hands terminating in black cuffs above fifteen gold stars in base grouped in five staggered horizontal rows, all enclosed by a circular gold scroll folded over the cuffs and inscribed "FIGHT" at the top and "AS KENTUCKIANS" at the sides and base, all letters blue. Symbolism: The two clasped hands are from the crest for Army National Guard units of the Commonwealth of Kentucky. The hands, symbolizing the state motto "United We Stand, Divided We Fall," additionally refer to the state's courageous fighting forces united for victory. The blue background is from the flag of "The Bluegrass State." The fifteen stars in staggered rows of three stars each refer to Kentucky, the fifteenth state admitted to the Union, and a historic arrangement of the stars on the 1795 National Flag of the United States. Background: The distinctive unit insignia was originally approved for Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment and non-color bearing units of the Kentucky Army National Guard on 14 May 1971. The insignia was redesignated for Headquarters, State Area Command, Kentucky Army National Guard effective 30 December 1983.
MOTTO: "FIGHT AS KENTUCKIANS".
Design approved: 14 April 1971.