149th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade

In This Section

Lineage and Honors

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS COMPANY
149th BRIGADE, 35th INFANTRY DIVISION
(LOUISVILLE LEGION)

Constituted 21 January 1839 in the Kentucky Militia as the Louisville Legion and organized at Louisville.

Mustered into Federal service 17 May 1846 as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment; mustered out of Federal service 17 May 1847 at New Orleans, Louisiana.

Reorganized 30 June 1851 in the Kentucky Volunteer Militia at Louisville as the Louisville Legion.

Reorganized 7 May 1860 in the Kentucky State Guard as the 1st Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion) to consist of the Louisville Battalion and the Marion Rifle Battalion.

1st Infantry Regiment reorganized in July 1861 at Camp Joe Holt, Indiana, with men of Union sympathy, as the 3d Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion).

Mustered into Federal service 9 September 1861 as the 5th Kentucky Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Louisville Legion); mustered out of Federal service in September 1864 at Louisville.

Reorganized 15 October 1878 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Battalion (Louisville Legion) Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in 1883 as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion).

Mustered into Federal service 1-10 June 1898 at Lexington as the 1st Kentucky Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 24 February 1899 at Louisville.

Reorganized 31 July 1899 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion).

Mustered out of state service 27 November 1900 at Louisville.

Reorganized 27 May 1904 in the Kentucky State Guard at Louisville as the 1st Regiment of Infantry (Louisville Legion).

(Kentucky State Guard redesignated 19 March 1912 as the Kentucky National Guard).

Mustered into Federal service 25 June 1916 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky.

(Company A mustered out of Federal service in February 1917 at Fort Thomas, Kentucky; mustered into Federal service 8 May 1917 at Camp Stanley, Kentucky).

Drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917.
Converted and redesignated 9 October 1917 as the 138th Field Artillery and assigned to the 38th Division Demobilized 8 January 1919 at Camp Zachary Taylor, Kentucky.

Reorganized 1921-1922 in the Kentucky National Guard at Louisville as the 138th Field Artillery and assigned to the 38th Division; Headquarters Federally recognized 30 June 1922 at Louisville.

Inducted into Federal service 17 January 1941 at Louisville.

Regiment broken up 1 March 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:

Headquarters and Headquarters Battery disbanded.

(1st and 2d Battalions as the 138th and 198th Field Artillery Battalions - hereafter separate lineages).

Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery, reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Kentucky National Guard.

Redesignated 13 May 1946 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery Group.

Consolidated 22 April 1947 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 38th Division Artillery (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit reorganized and Federally recognized at Louisville as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 138th Field Artillery Group.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1959 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XXIII Corps Artillery.

Consolidated 1 March 1968 with Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group (see ANNEX 2), and the 113th Ordnance Company (see ANNEX 3) and consolidated unit designated as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, XXIII Corps Artillery.

Converted and redesignated 1 November 1980 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armored Brigade.

Reorganized and redesignated 1 November 1985 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Brigade, 35th Infantry Division.

Annex 1

Organized and Federally recognized 14 February 1923 in the Kentucky National Guard at Louisville as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 63d Field Artillery Brigade, and assigned to the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division).

Inducted into Federal service 17 January 1941 at Louisville.
Reorganized and redesignated 1 March 1942 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 38th Division Artillery Inactivated 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, California.

Annex 2

Organized and Federally recognized 27 March 1925 in the Kentucky National Guard at Anchorage as Headquarters Company, 1st Battalion, 149th Infantry, an element of the 38th Division (later redesignated as the 38th Infantry Division).

Reorganized and redesignated 1 June 1926 as Headquarters Company, 149th Infantry.

Location changed 9 April 1931 to St. Matthews.

Inducted into Federal service 17 January 1941 at St. Matthews.

Inactivated 9 November 1945 at Camp Anza, California.

(149th Infantry relieved 13 May 1946 from assignment to the 38th Infantry Division).

Reorganized and Federally recognized 25 September 1946 at St. Matthews.

Converted and redesignated 1 September 1955 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 149th Armor Group.

Annex 3

Organized and Federally recognized 28 January 1948 in the Kentucky Army National Guard at St. Matthews as the Medical Company, 149th Infantry.

Converted and redesignated 1 September 1955 as Headquarters and Service Company, 240th Tank Battalion.

Consolidated 1 October 1959 with the Medical Detachment, 240th Tank Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 13 September 1955 at St. Matthews), and consolidated unit converted and redesignated as the 113th Ordnance Company.

Campaign Participation Credit

Mexican War
Monterey

Civil War
Shiloh
Murfreesborough
Chickamauga
Atlanta
Mississippi 1862
Tennessee 1863

War with Spain
Puerto Rico

World War I
Streamer without inscription

World War II
New Guinea
Leyte
Luzon

Decorations

Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945

Past Commanders

View Past Commaders of the 149th Maneuver Enhancement Brigade.

Flag

Image of 149th Flag

Shoulder sleeve insignia

35th INFANTRY DIVISION
"The Santa Fe Division"
Shoulder sleeve insignia description: On a blue disc with a 1/8-inch green border 2 ¼-inches in diameter overall, a white Santa Fe Cross.
The Santa Fe Cross was a symbol used to mark the old Santa Fe trail, an area where the unit trained, and was officially designated as an identifying device for the unit by Headquarters, 35th Division, General Orders Number 25, dated 27 March 1918. The organization is referred to as the Santa Fe Division.
The shoulder sleeve insignia was originally approved for the 35th Division on 29 October 1918 by telegram and officially announced on 8 June 1922. It was redesignated on 17 October 1963 for the 35th Command Headquarters (Divisional). On 23 July 1968 the insignia was assigned to the 35th Engineer Brigade. The shoulder sleeve insignia was restored to the 35th Infantry Division and amended on 27 August 1984.

Distinctive Unit Insignia (Crest)

​​​​​​​